Department of Oncology, Radiology Diagnostics and Therapy and Radiation Medicine
Address: R. Kupchynskiy st., 8, Ternopil, 46023
Tel: (0352) 268280
Head of the Department – Doctor of Medical Sciences, Prof. I. Y. Galaychuk, MD
Staff of the Department: 4 Professors, 3 Associate Professors, 5 Assistant Professors, 1 postgraduate student, 1 resident doctor, 1 laboratory assistant.
Department of Oncology, Radiology and Radiation Medicine was founded in January 1983 on the basis of two courses – Oncology and Roentgenology with Medical Radiology. Associate Professor I. T. Tsyliurik, MD was in charge of the Roentgenology and Medical Radiology Course from 1960 to 1982. Associate Professor M. V. Skybenko, MD was in charge of the Oncology course from 1970 to 1982. From 1983 Professor H. S. Moroz was in charge of the newly formed Department of Oncology, Radiology and Radiation Medicine. In 1994-2006 the Department was headed by Professor V.I. Dryzhak. Doctor of Medicine, Professor I.Y. Galaychuk has been working as the Head of the Department since 2006.
Students of Medical Faculty and Faculty of Dentistry, Institute of Nursing, as well as doctors of the Faculty of Postgraduate Education get theoretical and practical knowledge at the Department.
Teaching process is provided by highly skilled instructors on the following subjects:
· «Oncology» – for the 5th and 6th year students of Medical Faculty, internship doctors and students of the Faculty of Postgraduate Education;
· «Nursing in oncology» – for the nurses and nurses-bachelors of intramural, extramural and distance-learning study programmes;
· «Radiology» – for the 3d year students of Medical Faculty and the Faculty of Dentistry, internship doctors of the Postgraduate Education Faculty;
· «Radiation medicine» – for the 5th year students of Medical Faculty and the 4th year students of the Faculty of Dentistry, internship doctors and students of the Faculty of Postgraduate Education;
· «Palliative medicine» – for the nurses with master’s degree of Institute of Nursing.
Subjects are taught in Ukrainian, English and Russian languages for the students of Medical Faculty and the Faculty of Dentistry. Methodological instructions for the subjects are written in three languages.
· Dryzhak V.I. et al. Viral Hepatitis and Cancer of Liver. – Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha, 2010. – 188 p.
· Dryzhak V.I., Dombrovych М.І. Breast Cancer. – Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha, 2005. – 152 p
· Galaychuk I.Y. Clinical Oncology. Part I: Textbook. – Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha, 2003. – 276 p.
· Dryzhak V.I., Dombrovych М.І., Vayda A.R. Breast Cancer (multimedia CD). – Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha, 2002. – 318 МВ.
· Dryzhak V.I., Dombrovych М.І. Nursing in Oncology. – Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha, 2001.– 222 p.
· Dryzhak V.I. Hormones and Breast Cancer. – Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha, 2002. – 172 p.
· Dryzhak V.I., Dombrovych М.І., Zahurska N.O., Korytskyi H.I. Endotoxicosis in Clinical Oncology. – Ternopil: Ukrmedknyha, 1999. – 128 p.
Researches of the Department staff are aimed at improvement of diagnostics and treatment of patients with malignant tumors of various localizations.
Since 2009 scientific and research work of the Department staff on the topic “Optimization of lymphogenic metastases diagnostics and treatment modalities forthe patients with rectal cancer, breast cancer and skin melanoma” has been accomplished.
The following scientific topics have been accomplished :
· Role of B and C hepatitis viruses and other cause factors in hepatocarcinogenesis;
· Prevention and treatment of hepatic failure in patients with obstructive jaundice of tumorous genesis;
· Influence of laser therapy on body’s resistibility in combined treatment of malignant tumors;
· Study of antigenic, hormonal and immunologic status of patients with malignant tumors of main localizations;
· Development of united topographic and functional radionuclide in vivo and in vitro methods for diagnostics and rehabilitation of patients with tumors of chest and abdominal cavities;
· Development of complex diagnostics of tuberculosis and lung cancer on the basis of clinicoradiological, radionuclide, instrumental and laboratory methods of diagnostics.
Main scientific achievements of the Department
For the years of Department’s existence its staff have prepared and defended 4 theses for academic degree of Doctor of Medicine and 10 theses for academic degree of Candidate of Medicine (equivalent to PhD):
· Halaychuk I.Y. Skin melanoma: optimization of diagnosis and combined and complex treatment of the patients. – Manuscript for degree of Doctor of Philosophy in Oncology. – Kyiv, 2005. – 41 p.
· Zhulkevych I.V. Condition of bone mineral density at defeat haemopoetic and haemostatic systems: forecasting patomorfosis and differential methods of preventive maintenance. - Manuscript for degree Doctor of Philosophy in Haematology and Transfusiology. – Kyiv, 2003. – 32 p.
· Dombrovych M.I. Low-intensive Laser Therapy in Patients with Colorectal Cancer in Early Postoperative Period. – Kiev, 1998. – 16 p.
· Zagurska N.O. Application of Indirect Electrochemical Blood Oxidation Method in Treatment of Endogenous Intoxication Syndrome in Patients with Carcinomas of the Lungs and Large Intestine. Kiev, 1998. – 16 p.
· Leskiv I.M. Radial methods in diagnosis and differential diagnosis of mechanical jaundice.-.Manuscript for degree of Doctor of Medicine in Radial Diagnosis and Radiotherapy. – Kiev, 1996. – 20 p.
· Uhlyar Yu.V. Application of magneto-laser and enteroabsorbtion in patients with obstructive jaundice. Manuscript for degree of Doctor of Medicine in Surgery. – Ternopil, 2001. – 18 p.
· Shkrobot L.V. Surgical tactics in occlusion-stenotic lesion of the extracranial arteries, terminal part of the aorta and magestral arteries of low extremities. Ternopol, 2005. – 21 p.
· Vaida A.R. Pathogenetic Substantiation of the Surgical Correction of the Hepatic Hemodynamic Malfunction in Obstructive Jaundice (Experimento-clinical Investigation). Ternopol, 2000. – 19 p.
More than 300 scientific articles were published subsequent to the results of the scientific researches, 15 patents for the inventions were received.
More than 20 percent of surgeries are performed by the specialists of the Department. These are the most complicated surgeries on the abdominal cavity organs and chest cavity organs, performed by the surgeons of the highest qualification: Professors V. Dryzhak, H. Moroz, I. Halaychuk, Associate Professors Y. Uglyar, M. Dombrovych and L. Shkrobot. They are also curators of the Regional Oncological Dispensary Surgical Units, where clinical rounds are done on a weekly basis, they hold conferences and conciliums. Assistants of the Department take an active part in roentgenologic and ultrasound diagnostic examinations. Specialists of the Department consult more than 1000 patients yearly; implement new methods of diagnostics and treatment of patients.
International cooperation, conferences
The staff of the Department participated in organization of all-Ukrainian theoretical and practical conferences on the basis of the University Congress Center“Chervona Kalyna”:
· 2004 - Accompaning therapy in treatment of oncological patients;
· 2007 - Methods of preclinical diagnosis of regional lymphogenic metastases;
· 2009 - Efficient chemotherapy for oncological patients.
SPECIAL TRAININGS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
Prof. I.Y. Galaychuk:
· Visiting Fulbright Scholar, University of Pittsburgh Medical Centre / Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA – 1999-2000;
· Fellow of International Pediatric Oncology Outreach Program, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, USA – 09.2002;
· Lymphatic Mapping and Sentinel Node Biopsy Course (ESSO Scholarship), Amsterdam, NL – 05.1998;
· Good Clinical Practice in Medical Oncology – Theoretical and Practical Course (granted by ESMO), Copenhagen, DK – 11.1997.
· American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO);
· European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO);
· European Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO);
· European Association for Cancer Research (EACR);
· European Association for Cancer Education (EACE);
· Akademio Internacia de la Sciencoj (AIS, San-Marino),
· Universala Esperanto-Asocio (UEA).
PRESENTATIONS AT SCIENTIFIC INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES:
· The 7th European Conference of Clinical Oncology (Jerusalem, 1993);
· The 7th Congress of the European Society of Surgical Oncology (Heidelberg, D, 1994);
· Health Education Authority - Melanoma '95 Meeting (Brighton, UK, 1995);
· The 33rd Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Education, Cleveland, OH, USA, 1999;
· The 14th Annual Meeting of European Association for Cancer Education, Antwerp, 2001;
· The 8th World Congress on Skin Cancers, Zurich, 2001;
· The 2nd Congress, World Federation of Surgical Oncology Societies, Napoli, Italy, 2001;
· World Cancer Congress, Geneva, Switzerland, 2008;
· The 21st International Congress on Anti-Cancer Treatment (ICACT), Paris, F; 02.2010.
Staff of the Department:
IGOR Igor Y. GALAYCHUK, MD, PhD, D.Sc.,
Professor, Surgical Oncologist,
Honoured Inventor of Ukraine,
Head of Oncology and Radiology Department,
I. HorbacIhevsky Ternopil State Medical University,
Doctor of Medical Sciences (D.Sc.) (Oncology), R.E. Kavetsky Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology, Kyiv, Ukraine, 2005.
Dissertation: “Skin Melanoma: optimization of diagnosis and combined and complex treatment of the patients”.14.01.07 – oncology.
Ph.D. (Candidate of Medical Science Degree), Lviv State Medical Institute, Lviv, Ukraine, 1990. Dissertation: “Impact of haemocarboperfusion and local absorbents on wound healing in burned patients”. 14.00.27 – surgery.
MD, Diploma of Higher Education, Ternopil State Medical Institute, Ternopil, Ukraine, 1979.
Surgeon-Resident, Kyiv Research Institute of Haematology and Blood Transfusion, Kyiv, Ukraine, 1983-1985.
SPECIAL TRAININGS AND FELLOWSHIPS:
Specialization in Oncology, Kyiv State Institute of Physician Postgraduate Education, Ukraine Certificate, 1986.
Good Clinical Practice in Medical Oncology - Theoretical and Practical Course (granted by ESMO); Certificate. Copenhagen, DK, 1997.
Lymphatic Mapping and Sentinel Node Biopsy Course – The Netherlands Cancer Institute/ Antoni Van Leeuwenhoek Hospital, Amsterdam, 1998.
Fellow of International Outreach Program, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, Memphis, TN, USA; 2002.
Visiting Fulbright Scholar, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center / Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA, USA, 1999-2000.
European Association for Cancer Research (EACR); American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO); European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO); Society of Surgical Oncology (ESSO); Universala Medicina Esperanto-Asocio (UMEA).
RESEARCH: melanoma and skin cancer, breast cancer and sarcoma, colorectal cancer, wound healing in cancer patients, oncoplastic surgery, and cancer education.
1996 – Shinoda Prize (Universala Medicina Esperanto-Asocio);
1996 – Pirlot Prize (Academio Internacia de la Sciencoj San-Marino);
1999 – Who’s Who in the World, 16th edition (biographical sketch);
2012 – “Great Minds of the 21st Century” – the American Biographical Institute;
2015 – Honoured Inventor of Ukraine.
2.Zhulkevych Igor V.
In 1980 graduated from the Ternopil Medical Institute, specialty in general medicine.
1980-1981 - doctor-intern at Letychiv Central Hospital (Khmelnytsky region).
1981-1984 - doctor-intern in the therapeutic department of Letychiv Central Hospital (Khmelnytsky region).
1984-1986 - Internal medicine residency at the Department of Internal Medicine at Ternopil State Medical Institute
1986-1997 - Assistant Professor of Faculty Therapy Department at I.Ya. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical Academy.
1997-1999 - Assistant Professor of Hospital Therapy Department № 2 at I.Ya. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical Academy.
1999-2002 - Associate Professor of Hospital Therapy № 2 at I.Ya. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical Academy.
2002-2005. - Associate Professor at the Department of Oncology, Radiology Diagnostics and Therapy and Radiation at I.Ya. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical Academy.
Since 2005 – Professor at the Department of Oncology, Radiology Diagnostics and Therapy and Radiation Medicine at I.Ya. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical Academy.
Doctor of Sciences from 2004, professor since 2005.
Research interests: oncohematology
3.Dombrovych Myroslav I.
Education and employment:
In 1987 he graduated from the Ternopil State Medical Institute. From 1987 to 1992 he worked as an emergency surgeon in Nikopol city hospital № 1 of Dnipropetrovs'k region.
1992-94 – Residency in Oncology at Ternopil State Medical Institute.
1994-2008 – assistant of oncology and radiology department.
2008 – Present – associate professor of oncology and radiology department.
From 2002 to 2015 he worked as a head teacher of the department.
From May 2015 to July 2016 – service in the Armed Forces of Ukraine as surgeon of 66-th Military mobile hospital. The captain Dombrovych M.I. is awarded by the Order of Danylo Galytsky, Ministry of Defense of Ukraine decorations "Badge of Honor" and "For the exemplary service."
In 1998 he defended a thesis "Low-intensity laser therapy of patients with colorectal cancer in the early postoperative period" in the specialty 14.01.07 – Oncology (supervisor – prof. V.I. Dryzhak).
A title of Associate Professor of Department of Oncology, Radiology Diagnostics and Therapy and Radiation Medicine was conferred by the decision of Certifying Board of MSE of Ukraine in July 2011.
Colorectal cancer, melanoma. In the 2008-2010 he took part in the international clinical trials “Randomized, double, blind, multicenter trial II/III interface for comparison of the efficacy of AZD 2171 (cetuximab) in combination with 5-FU, leucovorin and oxaliplatin (FOLFOX) with the efficacy of bevacizumab in combination with FOLFOX in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer”.
Author and co-author of 56 of teaching and scientific publications including one textbook, one manual, one monograph, one invention patent and two copyright.
Surgeon-oncologist of the highest category. He is specialized in surgery for cancer of the colon, tumors of the skin, head and neck, bony, muscular and soft tissues. Dombrovych M.I. masters the techniques of basic laparoscopic procedures (cholecystectomy, cystectomy) and emergency surgeries. His experience in the specialty "surgeon-oncologist" is 24 years. Total medical experience – 29 years.
Education: In 2005 graduated from theTernopil State Medical University. I. Gorbachevskogospecialty "Medicine". After the internship studied in clinical residency on specialty "surgery" from 2008 to 2010. Since September 2010 associate professor of Oncology, Radiology Diagnostics and Therapy and Radiation Medicine.
Research: 2013 defended the sison "Optimization of surgical treatment in patients with colon obstruction "
Research interests include breast cancer patients, colorectal cancer, Hemoblastosis, urgentoncology.
Publicationsandratings: Authorandco-authorofover 30 scientificpublicationsandeducationalnature.
5.Igor M. Leskiv PhD, D.Sc.
Ph.D. (Candidate of Medical Science Degree) associate professor,
head teacher of Department of Oncology, Radial Diagnostics , Therapy and
Radiation Medicine I. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical University MPH of Ukraine,
In 1987 I. Leskiv graduated the Ternopil Medical Institute, specializing in general medicine. Internship on surgery took place at the Ternopil regional hospital, specialty surgeon. From August 1988 to May 1990 he worked as a surgeon in Dubrovitsa district hospital in Rivne region. From June 1990 to 1993 - Senior Laboratory Department of Oncology, Radial Diagnostics , Therapy and Radiation Medicine of Ternopil Medical Academy. From 09.01.1993 p. – Assistant of the Department of Oncology, Radial Diagnostics , Therapy and Radiation Medicine, from 2015 - Associate Professor of the Department of Oncology, Radial Diagnostics , Therapy and Radiation Medicine I. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical University, head teacher of the department.
On May 23, 1996 at the meeting of the Specialized Academic Council D 50.30.01 at the Ukrainian Research Institute of Oncology and Radiology defended his PhD thesis on speciality 14.01.23 (radiation diagnosis and radiotherapy) "Radial methods in diagnosis and differential diagnosis of jaundice." Published about 86 articles and scientific publications.
Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of pathology hepatobiliary system, pelvis, breast and thyroid glands.
Publications and ratings: Author of 86 scientific publications and educational articles.
6. Nina O. Zagurska
Education: in 1982 graduated from the Ternopil State Medical Institute, specialty "Medicine".
Research activities: After the internship from 1983 to 2004 worked in practical medicine physician radiologist. Since 1994, Assistant Department of Oncology, Radiology Diagnostics and Therapy and Radiation Medicine. In 1998year defended her thesis on "Application of indirect electrochemical oxidation of blood in patients with lung cancer and colon cancer"
Research interests: Detoxification in oncology
Publications and ratings: Published more than 50 scientific papers and educational nature.
7.Oksana S. Hotsko
MD, PhD, Master of Medical sciences,
Assistant - Department of Oncology, Radiation Diagnostics and Therapy and Radiation Medicine, Ternopil State Medical University, Ternopil, Ukraine.
In 2010 graduated (with high honors) from the I. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical University.
2010-2012 – internship on the specialty "Clinical Oncology" on the base Lviv National Medical University.
In 2012 Oksana Hotsko received her Master of Medicine Degree in Clinical Oncology.
From August 2015 – assistant of Department of Oncology, Radiation Diagnostics and Therapy and Radiation Medicine.
In June 2016, she received the degree of candidate of medical Sciences in Oncology at the R.E. Kavetsky Institute of Experimental Pathology, Oncology and Radiobiology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Kyiv.
Research interests: chemotherapy of malignant tumors, clinical trials.
Scientific publications: author and co-author of 25 scientific publications, 2 patents.
Higher. In 1984 he graduated the Ternopil Medical Institute, specializing in general medicine. Internship on surgery took place at the Dunayivtsi regional hospital, specialty "surgery". From August 1985 to May 1995 he worked as a surgeon Myn'kivtsi , Khmelnitsky region. From September 1995 to 1997 - studied in clinical residency on specialty "surgery". On 12.01.1997 y. - Assistant Professor, Department of Oncology, Radial Diagnostics , Therapy and Radiation Medicine SHEI I.Ya. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical University. Since 2005 y. - Associate Professor of Department of Oncology, Radial Diagnostics , Therapy and Radiation Medicine SHEI I.Ya. Horbachevsky Ternopil State Medical University.
In 2000 he defended his PhD thesis on speciality "Justification use magnetic-laser therapy and enterosorbtion in patients with mechanical jaundice"
Diagnosis and treatment oncologycal pathology the stomach, breast, hepatobiliary system, pancreas small and large bowel.
Publications and ratings:
Published more than 60 scientific publications and educational articles.